Location: Lafayette, IN
Dana is a global leader in the supply of highly engineered driveline, sealing, and thermal-management technologies that improve the efficiency and performance of vehicles with both conventional and alternative-energy powertrains. Serving three primary markets – passenger vehicle, commercial truck, and off-highway equipment – Dana provides the world’s original-equipment manufacturers and the aftermarket with local product and service support through a network of nearly 100 engineering, manufacturing, and distribution facilities.
Under supervision of Manager of Spicer Torque-Hub Engineering, the Lead Gear Systems Engineer performs diversified design and research in areas of future product development for Dana, including but not limited to new gear designs, gear optimizations, new gearbox designs, new materials, and new manufacturing and assembly methodologies.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Interpret customer technical specifications and use them to correctly design complete gearbox systems including but not limited to bevel gears, cylindrical gears, shafts and splines to meet Dana design practices and Dana/customer performance requirements.
- Properly size and select hardware items such as but not limited to bearings, bushings, seals, o-rings, bolts, friction disks, retaining rings, washers used in complete gearbox systems or sub-assemblies.
- Provide technical support to purchasing, manufacturing plants, assembly plants, and other engineering departments during sourcing, vehicle development, launch, and production.
- Author and/or review DFMEAs and DVP&Rs and as well as participate in APQP and review part deviations and PPAPs.
- Mentor and train less experienced gear engineers and technicians.
- Perform benchmarking and competitive gear analyses. Develop and implement VAVE cost savings projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related technical field. A graduate degree in engineering or business is preferred but not required.
- 5+ years of experience in bevel and/or cylindrical gear powertrain engineering in the automotive, commercial vehicle, or off-highway industries
- 5+ years of experience in gear design software (KissSoft, Gleason, Klingelnberg, or Romax preferred) and/or gear manufacturing and inspection.
- Fundamental understanding of how hydrostatic and electrically driven drivetrains operate, and familiarity with all of the components within including but not limited to:
- Hydraulic pumps, motors, valves
- Spring applied, hydraulically released (SAHR) brakes
- Spring applied, electrically released (SAER) brakes
- Electric motors (DC, AC induction, IPM, SRIPM and others), both high and low voltage
- Parametric modeling experience
- Understanding of failure modes of gearboxes
- Successful record of VAVE engineering in the life cycle of a product
- Travel domestically and internationally as needed based on business needs. Typical travel requirements are less than 10% and while mostly domestic, some international travel maybe be required on rare occasion.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per Dana policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters were engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that Dana will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.