11th October 2017
Do people describe you as a Go-getter? Do you find challenges exciting? At Bison, our team focus is to make our customers’ products GO! If you're looking for a new role with an organization that will allow you to run with your innovative ideas in a collaborative team culture, don't delay, GO apply today!
Bison Gear and Engineering began in 1960 by designing problem-solving gearboxes and gear motors for their customers. Today, the company has grown into an industry leader for fractional horsepower electric motor, integral gear motor and gear reducer products by implementing innovative lean manufacturing processes, world class engineering and customer support teams driven by their Robusticity® design philosophy; allowing Bison to consistently expand its product line with new motion control and power transmission solutions. At Bison, we make your products GO. ®
Why join our team?
We believe that personal, professional and company growth all go hand in hand. So we develop, challenge and incentivize our people to deliver the very best for our loyal customers. We’re a team made up of problem solvers, risk-takers, thinkers and doers. At Bison we give you the opportunity to develop your career based on your strengths and potential. Bison is a career destination for engaged, passionate and talented people who are driven to seek the innovation, growth and opportunity that we offer.
As part of the Bison Automation organization, this position will provide product/ system and application expertise to external and internal customers. This position will also provide sales support and may be called upon to handle sales directly – with or without assistance from Bison’s sales team.
Essential duties and Responsibilities:
1. Technical Support: Must be highly technical and comfortable with mechanical, electrical and mechatronic products; specifically VFDs, Servo Drives, and Motors. Responsible for technical and commercial identification, evaluation, and development of customers’ needs for automating processes and machines for all product groups. Responsible for testing VFD and motor performance.
2. Market Knowledge: Responsible to know and understand machine designer needs. Collaborate with sales team to get input regarding competitor product lines. Understand the competitive landscape and help assess competitors’ relative positions. Recommend product/ system needs for Bison Automation.
3. Customer Support: Will be able to work with Bison’s sales team and directly with customers to recommend standard and/ or to design a new package of products, , that meet overall customer requirements. Will be able to provide support in terms of design and integration with other customer components. Provide added value to the customer by creating full automation solutions using sourced and manufactured products. Provide complete customer services as dictated by the customer needs with product expediting and quality inquiries by using our TQM philosophy of continuous improvement. Combination Applications Engineer and Product/ Systems Engineer.
4. Application Engineering: Responsible for developing and obtaining product/ system requirements and other technical information from the customer and/or sales team to propose a solution in the form of a quotation, complete with prototype and production pricing. Additionally they will be responsible for obtaining customer written approval before the design, manufacture, assembly, or testing of any prototype gearmotor or motor under the direction of the Director – Bison Automation Systems.
5. Sales Support: Provide product selection/ application support to sales team. Must be able to interact on a commercial level, and have the ability to interact with customers directly or in conjunction with the sales team. While not a “sales position,” must have high level of commercial aptitude to go along with technical expertise. Work with customers, sales partners, and system integrator to sell, quote, design, program, and assemble solutions.
6. Flexibility: This role will require the individual to be flexible in their day-to-day work as assignments and be able to “wear multiple hats” within the organization.
7. Maintain customer records including CRM
8. Effectively interface across all levels of the organization within Bison. Be comfortable interacting with all levels at customers.
Additional Responsibilities: As assigned by management.
Must be able and willing to travel as needed to accomplish the Duties and Responsibilities. Expected travel up to 10-20% of time.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
3+ Years’ experience working as an Automation Specialist or Controls Engineer, in the power transmission/ automation sectors.
Experience working with application engineering, product marketing, marketing analysis and/ or sales teams is a plus.
1. PC experience including Microsoft Office products. CRM software experience is also a plus.
2. Good organizational skills.
3. Be a self-starter, and follow through on projects.
4. Ability to handle multiple projects in short time frames.
5. Effective communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of customers, suppliers and associates across all levels of the organization.
6. Must be able to design, program, and troubleshoot motor controls including VFDs and Servos to meet customer specifications.
7. PLC programming including Studio 5000, AOI and AOP creation
8. Capable of programming in IEC 61131-3 standard languages.
9. Networks experience including Modbus, Ethernet IP, EtherCat, and Profinet.
10. Electrical Control Panel and schematic design.
11. HMI development experience a strong plus.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50-75 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Trade show set up 4-5 times a year.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, an office/and or electromechanical laboratory with lubricants and electrical connections. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Comprehensive Benefit Plans
Business Casual Work Environment
On-site Fitness Center and Health Clinic
Outstanding Tuition Reimbursement Plan