2nd February 2018
Spring Grove, IL
Scot Forge is a 125 year-old, 100% employee-owned company that manufactures custom open die and rolled ring forgings. At Scot Forge, we help our customers succeed in their most critical initiatives with forged solutions for everything from the world's physical infrastructure, energy and transportation to manufacturing, mining, and our national defense. From the wheels of NASA's Curiosity Mars Rover, to mission critical components for nuclear submarines, to large hydraulic cylinders for the largest mining trucks on the planet, Scot Forge creates the precision forged metal parts used in demanding applications all over the world.
Position Summary/ Shift:
Perform duties to create programs for CNC machines, set up and operate CNC machines. This position is a Flex position, in which the employee will be asked to learn new skills and may be asked to work in various roles, departments, shifts and locations.
This position will work second shift, hours are 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. (or 4 a.m. based on customer needs).
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
· Actively participate in safety program to ensure the continued success of the program – maintain knowledge of process through training, perform scheduled observations, and provide quality feedback in order to promote safer work behaviors and conditions. Wear proper PPE.
· Maintain knowledge of processes through training while providing quality feedback to promote safer work behaviors and conditions.
· Prior to loading part, identify forgings, material type, and verify blueprint and dimensions. Read and understand entire part routing. Visually inspect, layout and prepare materials as required. Examine material visually for flaws, defects and clean-up.
· Select, load and verify existing program to ensure safe and productive machining- edit if necessary, notifying Supervisor or Group Leader of changes.
· Set up equipment, install tools and fixtures.
· Load material into machine utilizing overhead crane and secure to ensure safe machining on forgings that can exceed 100,000 lbs using various lifting apparatus.
· Train on and inspect lifting equipment to ensure safe practices.
· Calculate chain and strap adjustments to ensure the safe lifting and transporting of parts.
· Run production, monitoring the machining process, check parts throughout run making necessary adjustments to conform to specifications. Select tools based on process and various materials.
· Monitor entire run, due to unique forgings, when using edited or new program to ensure safe run conditions and quality specifications are met.
· Complete production time cards ensuring that accurate records are maintained. Complete and move operation steps in production software.
· Ensure proper identification recorded on completed part following machining.
· Complete necessary inspection and quality reports using measurement equipment such as tape measure, calipers, micrometers, and pi tapes.
· Clean and maintain equipment following TPM and 6S.
· Build skids to fit various parts.
· Communicate across shifts and inspect parts at shift start to ensure dimensions are within specification.
· Communicate production and equipment problems to appropriate personnel.
High school diploma or GED
Basic Math Skills
Prior machining experience
Experience with common inspection tools (calipers, tape measure, etc)
Basic computer skills
Overhead crane experience
Knowledge of GD&T
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Able to lift 65 lbs (up to 5 times a day)
Shoveling of chips/swarf
Temperatures above 100 Deg, and below 30 Deg
· Operate job duties in conditions where there is dirt, dust, loud noises
10-12 hour work days, 60+ hours per week
· Operate job duties in small areas and areas where pinch points exists
· Climbing, overhead lifting, standing for long periods of time
· Must be authorized to work anywhere in the U.S. without sponsorship.
· Ability to pass a lift evaluation (up to 65 lbs.) pre-employment.
· Must be able to pass a 90 day head hair drug test today.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Please apply through the Scot Forge Careers Section: