31st October 2017
Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale
US Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes
Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
Clearance Type: None
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Set up and operate multiple gear grinding and related machines to grind gear tooth geometry to exacting tolerances and specifications on a variety of gears. Inspect same using a variety of gear inspection equipment. Performs PGFP & SPGFP process as directed
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT: Gear grinders, gear measuring equipment, grinding wheels, static balancing equipment, electronic indicators, strip
recorders, micrometers, gear tooth vernier calipers, feelers, marking stands, marking mediums, fixtures, clamps, safety glasses, hammer, wrench, gloves, etc., English/Metric conversion charts.
MATERIAL: Alloy or carbon steel cased or through hardened, shaving cutters, gears, cutting oil, solvents, rags, emery cloth, etc.
WORKING PROCEDURE: The following are the usual major job duties but this job description does not preclude the
performance of other duties by the incumbent, nor the question being raised on the proper rate of pay for the assignment:
1. Receive work assignment from supervision or Gear Grinder – A&B.
2. Read and follow safety regulations, manufacturing information package, drawings, change notices, operations sheets, contract specifications and work authorizations.
3. Work with English/Metric dimension system.
4. Select and balance grinding wheel both statically and dynamically for the current grinding operations. Install the wheel on the gear grinder.
5. Position, align and clamp workpiece in fixture and to machine table. Install change gears to achieve specified number of teeth and proper feeds, speeds and profile modifications in the grinding machine per instructions.
6. Rough grind tooth geometry to clean up. Complete fine grinding to size and surface finish per specifications.
7. Measure and record lead, involute profile, tooth spacing, undulation, runout and surface finish.
8. Communicate any unresolved tolerance problems to Gear Grinder – A or B as needed for direction.
9. Mesh pinion and gear to establish proper fit and interlock setting wheel to work piece. Take corrective action.
10. Maintain general knowledge of gearing specifications related to grinding operations and requirements.
11. Monitor environmental control equipment temperature, dust, etc., to assure optimum grinding environment. Report problems to supervisor or responsible representative.
12. Make proper time charge entries and record data as required.
13. Maintain tools, equipment and work area in a clean and orderly condition. Report any equipment maintenance.
14. Relay pertinent job information to employees assigned to the same machines on following shifts. Perform other work of equal or lower classification as required.
This is Union represented position.
Position located in Sunnyvale, CA
High school degree/ GED
One or more years of gear grinding and measuring
Trade School degree
Please apply online at https://ngc.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=17022560&lang=en#.WfdKNbNl1P0.email
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.