Summary: Perform design tasks to improve the technology and competitiveness of our gear drives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Technology advancement in gearbox design and function. This may include; electronic controls and monitoring systems, hydraulic clutch systems, lubrication flow analysis (fluid dynamics), FEA, thermal analysis, and electro-mechanical systems.
- New concept proposal and development activities including 3D modeling, program cost estimation, validation planning, and other new product development activities.
- Provide accurate and timely work of assigned job activities and gear box designs according to established company and industry standards.
- Manage design and detail activities so that the project is completed within the specified amount of time, with the minimum amount of new drawings, parts and geometries created.
- Actively participate in, and lead, drawing and design reviews with engineering, manufacturing and the shop.
- Perform engineering calculations to satisfy design, customer and engineering requirements. Examples of these types of calculations are gear design, bearing life calculations, key and keyway sizing, minimum shaft diameter sizing, moments of inertia, shrink fit sizing, bolt torques, mass elastic calculations. etc.
- Review customer and industry specifications to identify the equipment scope of supply and to provide comments & exceptions where there is a noncompliance.
- Collaborate with external customers and sales, engineering and manufacturing teams to understand customer and system requirements.
- Record the actual time spent on each job or project.
- Participate in additional training if deemed necessary to meet current requirements of performance.
- Participate in team meetings
- Fill out bills of materials and enter the BOM data into the computer. Complete estimated BOM’s and help establish estimated costs for quoting activities.
- Answer technical questions from all sources about designs, both current and those that have been previously completed.
- Create, execute and file engineering change notices as needed.
- Check designs of others for mistakes and completeness.
- Train, instruct or otherwise share information with those individuals that are lacking specific knowledge needed to satisfactorily perform their job.
- Interact with customers for problem solving and technical presentations
- Attend industry related trade shows, seminars or conferences
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Less than 10% travel is expected.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical/electrical engineering and/or equivalent experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing and power transmission products and applications
- Knowledge and experience in FEA; structure and thermal analysis
- Knowledge and experience with advanced power transmission systems: powershift clutches, electronic controls and sensors.
- Experience in DOE concepts and validation test processes
- Knowledge of ERP systems, in particular the JobBOSS system
- Strong computer skills, namely with Microsoft Office; TK Solver, gear design and analysis software
- Formal CAD training at a 3D level, preferably Creo
- Formal or practical training in blueprint reading and the use of geometric tolerancing
- Strong customer orientation
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Solid problem analysis and resolution skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Superior organizational skills, prioritization and multi-tasking skills
Interested candidates should email their current resume to Kelly Garcia firstname.lastname@example.org