Shape the gear standards of tomorrow, today!
Join over 300 of your gear industry colleagues by volunteering on AGMA standards projects. The expert knowledge in AGMA’s current catalog of over 100 documents boosts American and worldwide business. AGMA standards projects are also your vehicle to participate in development of over 50 ISO gear standards, as many AGMA project working groups have a secondary function as technical advisory groups to ISO.
To join a standards project, all you need to do is be a member of AGMA and email us your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scroll down this page to see current standards projects. For more information on operations, click the link to see our How to Participate PowerPoint or click to read through our Chairperson’s Manual. For more information on ISO operations, click to see our ISO Intro PowerPoint. After volunteering you’ll be able to see all the last drafts, minutes and development documents on the AGMA Document Portal.
Active standards projects are listed below. Click the corresponding tab to learn more.
Staff Liaison: Phillip Olson
- AGMA 6011-KXX
- AGMA 9000-EXX
- AGMA 919-2-AXX
- AGMA 926-DXX
- AGMA 2116-BXX
- AGMA 6008-BXX
- AGMA 2101-EXX
AGMA 6011-KXX, Specification for High Speed Helical Gear Units
Project Start Date: June 2022
Project End Date (est.): June 2025
Project Type: Revision
Project Leader: John Amendola, Artec Machine
Current Project Status: The document is in the Working Draft stage. Sections in the main body of have been assigned and reviewed by group members. The future plans are to assign and review edits to the annexes. Estimate to go to the Committee Review and Comment stage is October 2024.
Scope of project:
Update to assess compatibility with proposed changes to following documents:
- AGMA 923: Metallurgical Specifications for Steel Gearing
- AGMA 925, Effect of Tribology and Lubrication of Gear Surface Distress
- AGMA 955, Lubrication Information Sheet
- ANSI/AGMA 2101: Fundamental Rating Factors and Calculation Methods for Involute Spur and Helical Gear Teeth
- API Standard 613-6: Special-purpose Gears for Petroleum, Chemical, and Gas Industry Services
The entire document will be open for review, but the focus will be on the following topics:
- Review scuffing criteria and micropitting criteria;
- Review stress numbers;
- Review specific loads on bearings;
- Review the effect of changes in retained austenite in service Clause 4.8 global change for term gear casing to gear housing;
- Pitting should be differentiated between micro and macro pitting Clause 4.9 Bearing;
- Review Clause 5 Rating of Gears;
- Review use of stress numbers Clause 5.5 Update references to AGMA 923 Clause 5.7 Scuffing resistance;
- Review (relative to new 925-B22) Clause 6 Lubrication;
- Review (after completion of 955-AXX) Clause 6.1 ;
- Expand discussion on micropitting (see 925-B22) Clause B.2 Scuffing considerations;
- Apply plv limits for using Cw in the F(load) equation Appendix F needs to be revised (After completion of AGMA 923); and
- Update/clarify text in regard to the request for interpretation resolved in 2019, and the email question received 8-11- 2021.
Note: One reaffirmation occurred in 2019 with no comments submitted
AGMA 9000-EXX, Flexible Couplings – Potential Unbalance and Mass Elastic Properties
Project Start Date: May 2022
Project End Date (est.): June 2024
Project Type: Revision and combination of AGMA 9000 and AGMA 9004
Project Leader: Lisa Riggs, Regal Rexnord Corp.
Current Project Status: The document is in the Review and Comment stage. Sections in the main body of have been assigned and reviewed by group members. The committee is now organizing the annexes. The updated estimate to go to Committee Comment is Fall 2023.
Scope of project:
Combine the following into one Standard:
- ANSI/AGMA 9000-D11, Flexible Couplings – Potential Unbalance Classification
- ANSI/AGMA 9004-B08, Flexible Couplings – Mass Elastic Properties and Other Characteristics
- And their metric equivalents ANSI/AGMA 9110-A11 and ANSI/AGMA 9104-A06
Combine standards as noted above while incorporating comments received from previous reaffirmations. New combined standard title to be: Flexible Couplings – Potential Unbalance and Mass Elastic Properties
AGMA 919-2-AXX, Condition Monitoring and Diagnostics of Gear Units and Open Gears: Part II – Applications and Advanced Analyses
Project Start Date: May 2021
Project End Date (est.): January 2025
Project Type: New Document
Project Leader: Steve Rogan, Artec Machine
Current Project Status: The document is in the Working Draft stage. Sections in the main body of have been assigned but are still being reviewed and edited. The estimate to go to Committee Comment is July 2024.
Scope of project:
This information sheet is a continuation of AGMA 919-1, that will discuss in greater detail the application of vibration and acoustic techniques for condition monitoring, instrumentation and methods for diagnostics of industrial gear units and open gearing. Guidance will be provided on how to establish baseline data, analyze trends, set action limits, run diagnostics, and define action plan.
- This document will have more examples / practical applications than other current AGMA and ISO documents on this subject.
- This document will point the reader to all the other different documents on condition monitoring, and if no other document covers the subject will include it.
AGMA 926-DXX, Recommended Practice for Carburized Aerospace Gearing
Project Start Date: October 2021
Project End Date (est.): October 2025
Project Type: Revision
Project Leader: Scott Davidson, Boeing Rotorcraft – Philadelphia
Current Project Status: The project is in the Working Draft stage, and on track to go to the Review and Comment stage by April of 2024. All sections of the document have been assigned to members for review and possible editing. The group works through completed assignments at meetings.
Scope of project:
Update the complete information sheet to incorporate newer materials and heat treatment methods in use in aerospace gearing.
Current coverage is for 9310 and similar materials, however examples are limited to atmospheric carburized 9310. The goal is to capture material information that represents the current state of aerospace gear material selection and the associated processing requirements. Update with alloy examples from AGMA 911 and AGMA 937 as well as possible newer alloys.
This update will include such things as:
- Sub critical anneal
- Low pressure carburizing
- High pressure quenching
- Testing acceptance criteria
- Stress relief
Due to the unique requirements of aerospace gearing for many of these materials, the processing requirements are not well defined elsewhere. Thus, this is an opportunity for AGMA to fill a technical information gap.
This document will only cover carburized aerospace gearing. Other heat treatment methods do not have unique aerospace requirements and are covered by other documents.
AGMA 2116-BXX, Evaluation of Double Flank Testers for Radial Composite Measurement of Gears
Current Project Status: Comments have been resolved. It will be published after AGMA staff completes ANSI paperwork.
AGMA 6008-BXX, Specifications for Powder Metallurgy Gears
Current Project Status: Commenting is closed. After comments are resolved it will be published.
AGMA 2101-EXX, Fundamental Rating Factors and Calculation Methods for Involute Spur and Helical Gear Teeth (Metric Edition)
Current Project Status: Commenting closes 1-12-2024. After comments are resolved it will be published.